Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Take the time to read our Privacy Policy.

gm5735 Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, 5 December 2018 10:16:19 AM(UTC)
gm5735

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 34 post(s)
The 2018 Monaro Nationals in Launceston have been fun, run and won. I know a few regulars here made it down, and for those that didn't you missed out big time.

One thing that stood out to me was the standard of cars, and that there are still some amazing original cars which are so rarely seen.

I thought it was an excellent event, and I'm interested in what others thought if it.
HK1837 Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, 6 December 2018 5:40:24 AM(UTC)
HK1837

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Veteran

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 121 post(s)
Sounds good. What was your favourite car?
#3 Posted : Thursday, 6 December 2018 6:07:51 AM(UTC)
Monaro23D

Australia

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
A fabulous event, great cars, great people and for the most part great weather. Almost 70 HK, T and G Monaros from survivor to concourse, something for everyone.
A great credit to Jesse Denholm and his team who put the whole thing together.
Monaro HK 327 GTS
gm5735 Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, 6 December 2018 10:09:26 AM(UTC)
gm5735

Man

Originally Posted by: HK1837 Go to Quoted Post

Now there is a question almost without answer. As Monaro23D said, something for everyone.

Let's start with his car - how often do you get to see a genuine ex-Bathurst car? A credit to Monaro23D for making the trip to Tassie and letting us see the car.

Many of the custom cars were done to an incredibly high standard, as were the concours and restored cars, but it is the survivor cars that stick in my mind.
How about a very original Silver Mink very early 2nd type HK327 Monaro with a mint interior with under 50,000 miles?
Or a 2 owner Pinaroo HK base model which, due to a respray, was ineligible for survivor but finished a strong 2nd in Factory Authentic.
There was also a very original HK307 Powerglide Monaro, also with minimal alterations from original and also with a mint interior, and an unbelievable HQ Monaro base model.
The winning car was a Daytona Bronze HT GTS which had to be seen to be believed.

An ex-Bonneville salt flat racing Warwick Yellow HK was also a contender. It was driven to every event, and even competed in the Motorkhana. I reckon it was the meanest sounding car of the event.

Though I'm not into HQs, I fell in love with a HQ GTS coupe in Blackwatch. A lovely car.

Like I said at the beginning, maybe I'm fickle, but I fell in love many times in four days.
SLENUT Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, 6 December 2018 12:23:13 PM(UTC)
SLENUT

Well worth the visit. There were some really nice Monaro's there, I had a few favorites. Great to see a few 6 cylinder ones there.
The HQ GTS that nearly went over the Tasman Bridge was a nice addition, was wondering if it was there.
The Commodore SL/E fanatic.
abi Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, 6 December 2018 9:08:28 PM(UTC)
abi

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Was also a very nicely restored HK GTS 186S as well, I kept going back to it for a look. The unrestored GTS 327 was very nice too.
HT80737 Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, 7 December 2018 8:17:08 PM(UTC)
HT80737

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gm5735 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: HK1837 Go to Quoted Post

Now there is a question almost without answer. As Monaro23D said, something for everyone.

Let's start with his car - how often do you get to see a genuine ex-Bathurst car? A credit to Monaro23D for making the trip to Tassie and letting us see the car.

Many of the custom cars were done to an incredibly high standard, as were the concours and restored cars, but it is the survivor cars that stick in my mind.
How about a very original Silver Mink very early 2nd type HK327 Monaro with a mint interior with under 50,000 miles?
Or a 2 owner Pinaroo HK base model which, due to a respray, was ineligible for survivor but finished a strong 2nd in Factory Authentic.
There was also a very original HK307 Powerglide Monaro, also with minimal alterations from original and also with a mint interior, and an unbelievable HQ Monaro base model.
The winning car was a Daytona Bronze HT GTS which had to be seen to be believed.

An ex-Bonneville salt flat racing Warwick Yellow HK was also a contender. It was driven to every event, and even competed in the Motorkhana. I reckon it was the meanest sounding car of the event.

Though I'm not into HQs, I fell in love with a HQ GTS coupe in Blackwatch. A lovely car.

Like I said at the beginning, maybe I'm fickle, but I fell in love many times in four days.

Was this a 253 from South Australia
gm5735 Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, 7 December 2018 8:26:44 PM(UTC)
gm5735

Man

Yes. It won the Survivor class.
SLENUT Offline
#9 Posted : Saturday, 8 December 2018 5:58:28 PM(UTC)
SLENUT

Enjoy
The Commodore SL/E fanatic.