Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Take the time to read our Privacy Policy.

trubluhq Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, 24 September 2009 9:32:58 PM(UTC)
trubluhq

Groups: Registered

Hi All,

Just trying to work out whether the HQ 253 actually needs a timing chanin damper/tensioner on not.

Apparently later model 308s ie VBs dont have them at all. CROW CAMS say the V8s dont need them.

Whats the answer ? Put one back in, if I can get one, or just fit the CROW kit with not tensioner ? My last one was cut to pieces...probably the 1974 original.

Thanks in advance John
trubluhq Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, 24 September 2009 9:42:26 PM(UTC)
trubluhq

I may have found an answer...HQs had em, by HZ they were gone. The old part of 7436226 isnt on GMH parts base anymore either.
andrew stephenson Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, 29 December 2011 3:44:02 PM(UTC)
andrew stephenson

I TO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, WHEAR CAN I GET A TIMING GUIDE FOR MY 308 AS THE ONE IN IT HAS COME APART. I WOULD LIKE TO PUT ONE BACK IN IT.
ALSO THE CAMSHAFT HAS INDEX MARKS ON IT , IT SEEMS TO BE SET AT +8 DEGREES WHEAR SHOULD IT BE SET FOR NORMAL STREET USE.THIS ENGINE WAS BUILT AS A DRAG ENGINE, BUT I AM PUTTING IT INTO MY HZ 2 TONE FOR STREET USE ONLY. SORRY FOR SPELLING,
ANDREW STEPHENSON
[email protected]
KeithA Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, 29 December 2011 8:21:05 PM(UTC)
KeithA

You don't have drag use, street use settings on the timing gear for camshafts. The 8 degrees is where the camshaft was dialed into for best performance. You can't set it at 0 degrees thinking that is for street use and expect it to work as designed and deliver power. Leave it alone, or buy another cam and lifters with a milder grind and install. Remember though, you should still dial in any cam that has a grind other than standard.
Cheers
the eh Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, 30 December 2011 5:34:30 PM(UTC)
the eh

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have never used a tensioner/damper. When Holden were using a 3SR62 (62 link single row chain) it may have been needed to help compensate for the excess wear. With a double row 3DR62 chain there is no need. Remember metallurgy and manufacturing technology have come a long way in 40 years.
PS the Holden V8 3DR62 chain is the same as the Toyota 18R series motors. If you get stuck there's an alternative.